Sunday, November 1, 2009

Terry Branstad and Roxanne Conlin Run Again in Iowa

Terry Branstad Runs Again
Steffen Schmidt**

A former student of mine, whom I shall call Anneke Ver Daart, sent me an e-mail recently. It was very interesting so I asked if I could share it. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. (Truth in reporting: I served for two years as Governor Branstad’s chair of the Spanish Speaking Commission.)

Dear Dr. S - My mother sent me your column from the Des Moines Register about Branstad and “selective nostalgia.”

An older woman from Forest City whom I have known all my life and who is a DIE HARD Democrat, hopes Branstad will run again because she really liked him as governor and of course he was from her area of the state. It baffles me that this woman adores the man so much.

My father and brother were huge Republicans.

About 5 years ago I was getting on the plane here in Chicago to fly to Des Moines to take care of our family business. My father had died the year before and I was running the corporation long distance.

I saw this man at the gate here at O’Hare walking around talking to people and I thought to myself, "I should know that man."

Then when we boarded he and his wife were seated with me, so I leaned over and said, "I should know you." And he introduced himself as Terry Branstad.

We did a little small chat and I told him that my father and brother were big supporters of his. Then he learned I had worked in Argentina, so he spent the rest of the short flight asking me about that.

As we were landing I gave him my business card and he saw my last name “Ver Daart” [not the real name] and exclaimed, "Is Willem Ver Daart your dad and Jaap Ver Daart your brother?" And I said yes. "I heard your dad died last year and I'm so sorry to hear that. How is Jaap doing with the company?" So we chatted a bit about all that.

I was impressed with his "politician" skills.

I am just in shock that he will be running again. Just like Bret Favre and all those washed up sports guys.

Anneke was impressed with Branstad’s people skills, personal touch, and nostalgic appeal across party lines, but was concerned about an aging politician and compared him to “washed up sports guys making a comeback.”

In 2010 we need to jazz up our coverage of politics with some music and video. (Videos at http://insideriowa.com/)

One of my students suggested as a theme song for washed up politicians the rap song “Washed Up” – KJ-52. Lyrics “Chorus Wait up, hold up, it's over (I'm washed up y'all) Wait up, hold up, it's over (It's all over now y'all)” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-PuF7zFwSE This can also be the theme song for Senator Grassley. Another student suggested The Urge – “All Washed Up” – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H1JTVd4Qsc

Hey you're all washed up
would you please shut up
take a walk that way

The 2010 political season will be interesting with an aging senator Grassley running against a “washed up lawyer gal” Roxanne Conlin as my former student would put it.
The theme song of the Conlin campaign will be “Roxanne” by The Police. This could be a real problem since the song “… is about a man who falls in love with a prostitute.” Listen to Sting here

One of my students actually said it was cool that some of the “classic” politicians were making a comeback and she suggested “Come Back” by Pearl jam, http://www.metrolyrics.com/come-back-lyrics-pearl-jam.html - the key lyric is Eddie Vedder whaling “Ohhh I need you ... come back, come back!”

Maybe older politicians bring the experience we need. Wake up the Dead would be good too!

Anyway, we need a theme song for candidate Chester Culver too. Any ideas? How about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BTifMm6ejA, Mötley Crüe’s, Chester Bennington – “Home Sweet Home?” Or “Stay, [Just a little bit longer, please]" a doo-wop song recorded by Maurice Williams and The Zodiacs? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Z_hskvz1M Perfect for an incumbent!

**Steffen Schmidt is a University Professor of Political Science at Iowa State University. He provides weekly political analysis for Iowa Public Radio, and periodically in Spanish for CNN en Español. He also serves as chief political and foreign correspondent for http://insideriowa.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment